Sunday, March 8, 2015

Eggs benedict with polenta, basil pesto, fontina cheese and salmon

Also known as the Sunday Night heart attack - ohhh yeah....


There is this little bistro down the street that makes this dish, and it is wonderful but the price is rather steep and they don't serve it for dinner, which is when I wanted it, so I decided to make it for myself.


Start by making the polenta about 4 hours before you want to eat it, so that it will have time to set up.
I didn't take pictures of the process, but here is the recipe -Hard Polenta Cakes
My only recommendation is use less salt than the recipe says to.

Here is my finished polenta - the cakes should be round but I don't want to waste any...


Start the oven and prepare the salmon


While the oven is warming make the Hollandaise
I like Alton Brown's recipe, the only thing I do different is I use clarified butter instead of pats of butter. I think the Hollandaise is creamier, and it is easier to make without having to whisk in each individual pat of butter

To clarify the butter melt it on low until completely liquid


Skim the solids off the top


And let the butter cool on the counter while you whisk the eggs



At this point put your salmon in the oven and set timer for 15 min.
Start warming the water for the poached eggs
Start the pan for the fried polenta
and fry it on med - low  heat until both sides are browned

While the polenta is frying and the salmon is baking, slowly add the butter to the eggs for the hollandaise.

NOTE: at the end - when adding the salt and the lemon juice be very sure that your pan is no longer on the heat and the hollandaise has cooled or the lemon juice will RUIN your lovely emulsion


In the last 5 minutes of the fish cooking you should poach the eggs. I used Alton's method and the only thing I would do is leave the eggs in for around another minute, they were a little too runny for my taste.

Everything should be done around the same time

Warm your plates up

Spread out a tablespoon of basil pesto and set the fried polenta on top


Add the fontina cheese to the top
add the poached eggs
and the salmon
 then put the hollandaise on the top
(I used a little too much hollandaise but it was yummy anyway)



If this is too heavy for the tummy try some Swedish bitters in water to aid digestion 
it really does help

No comments:

Post a Comment