Monday, May 4, 2015

Macque Choux Casserole






I love this recipe ~ one of may absolute favorite recipe from the Encyclopedia of Cajun and Creole Cooking that my beautiful and amazing sister gave me for Christmas a few years ago.


 




 Ingredients: Valerie Style
4 lbs chicken thighs (Pre-Cut)
4 to 5 ears fresh corn
2 cups whole kernel c orn
1/2 cup bacon drippings
1 and 1/2 cup diced onions
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 of a yellow bell pepper - diced
1/2 of a red bell pepper - diced
1/4 cup minced roasted-garlic
2 cups diced andouille sausage
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 quart chicken stock
2 cups shrimp - peeled and devained
1 cup sliced green onion
sat and black pepper to taste
Louisiana hot sauce to taste


 Preheat oven to 385F (colorado) Select, tender, well-developed ears of corn and shuck.


 

Using a sharp knife, cut lengthwise through kernels to remove them from cob.

 



Scrape each cob again to remove all the "Milk" (juice remaining on cob) and additional pulp from corn. The richness of this dish will depend on how much milk and pulp can be scraped from cobs.


you can see the difference between cobs



Other ingredients



I don't like green peppers, so I use red and orange Bell peppers.





 I don't like celery that much but, I have found that these Cajun dishes are lacking in complexity if I don't add it. So I like to dice it realllllly small.





s



 


This is the best Andouille sausage in Colorado that I have been able to find. Original recipe calls for 1/4 cup of this... pppppsh, cowards. I love it, so I add 2 cups roughly chopped.

 

 

 1  bag shrimp - de-vained and shelled. If frozen run those suckas under cold water for a few minutes.


mmmm - roasted garlic. Smash with knife, nothing more.

 

 

 

In a 7-quart Dutch Oven, melt bacon drippings over a medium-high heat.
If you're not crazy like me and you don't have bacon drippings on hand - use another high-smokepoint oil.


Saute' chicken in oil until golden brown on each side.


It takes a good 10 minutes to get a good brown on the skin side of the chicken so I recommend taking a break and going outside for a few minutes.


Let the mutts go outside potty and check on the potted plants.


Future Makani gravy


Ponyo



Chicken looks so good...


Add onions, celery, bell peppers and andouille and allow to cook for about 5 minutes.



Have a whiskey ginger because, you know - because you deserve it.


Cooked for about 5 minutes.


Add corn and tomatoes.


Stir.


Cook for 10 minutes...


Add chicken stock, shrimp, pepper, salt, garlic, and hotsauce... and cook for another 10 minutes on the stove top.

 

I use Smoked Salt because I think it adds another layer of complexity to this dish.





 

Add the chopped green onions, mix and put in the oven at 385F for 1 hour and 20 minutes



One thing about this recipe is that the skin on the chicken will always fall off. Don't remove from stew until done cooking... it adds flavor.


Pull it out and it looks AMAZING



 


 MAKE BISCUITS..... AND SERVE!!!



Look at how that chicken just falls off the bone... nom nom nom




No comments:

Post a Comment